When it comes to technical sales, the average salary is quite high. In fact, according to the most recent data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median salary estimate for tech sales representatives was $85,560 per year or $41.08 per hour. That’s nearly double the median salary for all occupations, which was just $37,040 in 2016.
Of course, like with any job, there is a lot of variation in pay depending on experience, location, and other factors. For example, the highest-paying cities for technical sales representatives are San Francisco, New York, and Seattle, where the average salary is over $100,000 per year. On the other hand, the lowest-paying city on the list is Albuquerque, where the average tech sales salary is just $54,000.
There are also a lot of different job titles that fall under the technology sales umbrella, from account executives to sales representatives to account managers and more. And, of course, different tech companies pay different salaries for the same job title.
Here are some tech sales roles with their salary estimates.
- Account executive – The median total compensation for a tech sales account executive is $85,000.The base salary for a tech sales account executive is $60,000.
- Business development manager – The average business development manager’s salary in tech sales business is $120,000 per year. This position is responsible for the company’s growth and development. They are also responsible for the sales and marketing of the company’s products and services.
- BDR or SDR – The median salary for a Business Development Representative is $50,000. The entry-level salary for a Business Development Representative is $30,000. The senior salary for a Business Development Representative is $70,000.
- Sales Engineer – The average competitive pay for a sales engineer in the United States is $85,000 per year, with the lowest 10 percent earning less than $54,000 and the highest 10 percent earning more than $121,000. Those with 10-20 years of experience can earn salaries of $100,000 or more, and those with 20+ years of experience can earn salaries of $150,000 or more.
- Customer success manager – The median salary for a customer success manager is $85,000 per year. However, salaries can range from $50,000 to $140,000 per year, depending on experience and location.
However, there are some general trends that can give you a sense of what to expect when it comes to tech sales salaries. First, it’s important to keep in mind that the market for tech sales jobs is growing rapidly. In fact, according to the most recent data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of tech sales jobs is expected to grow by 11% between 2016 and 2026, which is faster than the average for all occupations.
Second, technical sales jobs tend to be very competitive, so you can expect to see a wide range of salaries. For example, the median salary for an account executive at a tech company is $85,000, while the median salary for a sales representative is just $54,000.
Finally, it’s worth noting that tech sales jobs tend to be very commission-based, so your total compensation can vary depending on how well you sell. For example, the average commission for a tech sales representative is 10%, but it can range from 0% to 20%.
Overall, the average salary estimates for these tech sales roles are quite high, but there is a lot of variation depending on experience, location, and other factors.